Monday, October 13, 2008

Kickers

I was very excited to check out Kickers in Clarksville, TN. I have two dance instructor friends that teach there and I have heard wonderful things. My trusty new dance partner and I left Murfreesboro around 5:30 for the hour and a half trip to Clarksville. Our plan was to get up there early and have dinner. That plan was quickly thrown out the window when traffic came to a complete stop on highway 24. Apparently a tractor trailer wrecked and 500 to 1000 gallons of ethanol spilled out on the highway. We sat there for hours! I was not a happy camper. Finally we made it to the club around ten. I was hoping to be there when they opened at 8 to see the larger line dancing crowd but that was not possible. Cindy greeted us at the door and was happy to see that we finally made it! After she introduced me to her friends, we made our way upstairs to meet two of the four owners, Chad and Renee. It was wonderful being able to speak directly to them both and get a feel for the passion they have for this club. We talked about up-coming live shows and common line dancing friends. After almost thirty minutes of chatting, I went back downstairs to take a couple spins on their beautiful dance floor.

The club is really three venues in one. There is a large country dance club, a hip hop club and a little karaoke bar. Though we popped our heads in the hip hop and karaoke bars, they were no where near as impressive as the country side. Unfortunately, by the time I got there the crowd had already started to thin out. Clarksville is home to Fort Campbell, a US Army installation, and is home to the 101st Airborne Division. Troop deployment has affected the clubs population but they look forward to seeing their crowds swell again soon. Here is a video of some of the regular line dancers doing two different dances to Suspicious Minds.

After I tried my very best to teach my friend the Cha Cha, with no luck I might add, we met our new favorite bartender/cook Shawnna. She honestly makes the best fried potatoes I've ever had! We ended up sitting with Shawnna and talking with her for most of the night. Her pleasant smile and fun demeanor made us feel like one of the regulars!
When the band took its second break, the DJ was able to squeeze in Chicken Fried by the Zac Brown Band. There were many tapping toes and bobbing heads.

On our way out of town the next day we swung by the club. It really is a huge building! Thank you Kickers for a great night!

What a GREAT review!! Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the link to my website!!!
You're the best!!
Cindy

No comments: